Center for Public Health Practice Presents:
The Opioid Crisis: Innovative Health Communication Strategies
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017
10:00am - 11:30am PDT / 1:00pm - 2:30pm EDT
Register now for this FREE webinar!
Join us for the next event in the Health Communication Matters Webinar Series as we showcase three case studies of innovative health communication strategies being deployed to address the opioid crisis. First, we'll hear from Mark O'Brien, Director of Opioid Overdose Prevention and Treatment at the Baltimore City Health Department. Baltimore City is among the most severely impacted cities in the current national epidemic of opioid addiction and overdose. A city of 620,000 residents, Baltimore City last year suffered 694 overdose deaths, nearly two per day. The city's three-pronged strategy for responding to this public health emergency has been recognized as a national model. Webinar attendees will hear about the scale of the epidemic in Baltimore City and how the city's public health authorities are responding and communicating about the epidemic to save lives.
Next, we'll hear from Jesse Yedinak, project director with the Centers for Epidemiology and Environmental Health at Brown University School of Public Health, who'll highlight the development of Rhode Island's innovative website, PreventOverdoseRI.org, including identifying key audiences, testing messages with target populations, and using visual options to enhance informing. Their strategies have been recognized by CDC, the National Governors Association and others.
In the final presentation, we'll hear from Armine Kourouyan, MPH, Project Manager at Hollywood, Health & Society, USC Annenberg Norman Lear Center. This presentation will cover the functions of Hollywood, Health & Society, a program of the USC Norman Lear Center and explore the ways that entertainment education impacts millions of viewers around the world.
Please join us for an exciting webinar! Register here for this free event!
After this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Learn how to focus your message and include a call to action
- Use standardized tools and visual cues to increase the understanding of your message
- Test for understanding with your audience using online surveys and interviews
- Understand how to use a three pronged approach to addressing the scale of the opioid epidemic
- Identify effective strategies for a public health response to opioids, including public education and communication activities
- Understand the definition of entertainment education
- Recognize how entertainment affects viewers' knowledge, attitudes and behavior around health issues
- Identify opioids/substance abuse storylines on television and the impact they have on the viewing audience
The Health Communication Matters Series will help participants in all walks of public health to apply techniques to communicate effectively with consumers, health professionals, disenfranchised communities and your public health peers.
Learn more about upcoming and archived events in the series here.